|State||Rio de Janeiro (RJ)|
|Municipality/City||Rio de Janeiro|
|• Total||2.15 km2 (0.83 sq mi)|
Leblon (Brazilian Portuguese: /leˈblõ/) is a neighborhood of Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. It is also the name of the local beach. The neighborhood is located in the South Zone of the city, between Lagoa Rodrigo de Freitas, Morro Dois Irmãos and the Jardim de Alah channel, bordering the Gávea, Ipanema, Lagoa, and Vidigal neighborhoods. It is regarded as having the most expensive price per residential square meter in Latin America.
The neighborhood is named for Carlos Leblon, a whaling empresario of French origin who possessed a chácara in the region since 1845. Before the area was urbanized it was known as Campo do Leblon (Leblon's Field).
Leblon in popular culture
Leblon is known for being a very wealthy and cosmopolitan neighborhood, with a lively nightlife across its bars, restaurants and nightclubs. Leblon has been either referenced or depicted in the following media:
- Viver a Vida, a telenovela produced by Rede Globo, aired from September 2009 to May 2010;
- Páginas da Vida, a telenovela produced by Rede Globo, aired from July 2006 to March 2007;
- Mulheres Apaixonadas, a telenovela produced by Rede Globo, aired from February to October 2003;
- Laços de Familia, a telenovela produced by Rede Globo, aired from June 2000 to February 2001;
- Por Amor, a telenovela produced by Rede Globo, aired from October 1997 to May 1998;
- História de Amor, a telenovela produced by Rede Globo, aired from July 1995 to March 1996.
Leblon has been the subject of many songs, such as
- "Falso Leblon", "Choque de Ordem", "Haiti", "O namorado" and "O quereres" by Caetano Veloso;
- "Óculos" by Paralamas do Sucesso;
- "Inverno" by Adriana Calcanhotto;
- "Sexo, amor, traição" by Luciana Mello;
- "Andar, andar" and "Tesoura do desejo" by Alceu Valença;
- "Aquilo bom (garotas do Leblon)" by Elba Ramalho;
- "Daqui pro Meier" by Ed Motta;
- "Balanço Zona Sul" by Tito Madi;
- "Completamente Blue" by Cazuza;
- "Virgem" by Marina Lima;
- "Tardes no Leblon" by Alberto Rosenblit.
In the 1970s, Moraes Moreira, Patricia Rombauer, Dona Vavá, Pedro Sayad, Claudia Laplan, and Carlos van den Bosch were some of the neighborhood's most famous residents.
Media related to Leblon at Wikimedia Commons
- "RA VI - Lagoa" (in Portuguese). Prefeitura da Cidade do Rio de Janeiro. Retrieved 25 September 2014.
- "Bairro: Leblon" (in Portuguese). Prefeitura da Cidade do Rio de Janeiro. Retrieved 25 September 2014.